Cherokee County has been one of the fastest growing counties in metro Atlanta for the past 30 years. Those persons 50 years of age and older make up a major portion of this population increase. More and more opportunities are available for those in this age group. One such opportunity is the annual Cherokee County Senior Olympics, held in April each year.
Celebrating its 13th year, this organization creates awareness of the abilities and capabilities of seniors, helps promote, maintain and improve health awareness, and promotes an interest in lifetime sports, recreation and physical activity. If you will be 50 before April 30, you are eligible to register and compete in this year’s Olympics. There are 15 events with all levels of activity taking place in locations around the county. Participants may select as many events as they wish. Events to choose from include:
• Basketball free throw, Cherokee County Recreation Center, 7545 Main St., # 200, Woodstock, GA, 30188.
• Baggo (corn hole), Cherokee County Recreation Center.
• Bowling, Cherokee Lanes, 1149 Marietta Highway, Canton, GA, 30114.
• Swimming, Cherokee County Aquatics Center, 1200 Gresham Mill Parkway, Canton, GA 30114.
• Wii Bowling, William G. Long Senior Center, Woodstock, 223 Arnold Mill Road, Woodstock, GA, 30188.
• Billiards, William G. Long Senior Center.
• Golf, Fairways of Canton, 400 Laurel Canyon Parkway, Canton, GA, 30114.
• Pickleball, Veterans Park, 7345 Cumming Highway, Canton, GA, 30115.
• Body challenge, Cherokee County Senior Center, 1001 Univeter Road, Canton, GA, 30115.
• Bocce ball, J.J. Biello Riverside Athletic Complex, 610 Druw Cameron Court, Woodstock, GA, 30188.
• Frisbee golf, J.J. Biello Riverside Athletic Complex
• One-mile walk, J.J. Biello Riverside Athletic Complex
• Horseshoes, South State Bank, 1925 Marietta Highway, Canton, GA, 30114.
• Washers, South State Bank
• Hillbilly golf, South State Bank
Dedicated volunteers help set up, officiate and record times and placement for each event. The competitions are friendly and encourage each participant to do their best. In addition to the friendly competition, the funds raised by the organization are invested in efforts that improve the quality of life for seniors. Each year, money is given for the Adopt-A-Senior Program through Cherokee County Senior Services and the Hugs and a Blanket effort through Cherokee Recreation and Parks Department.
Opening ceremonies for the Olympic Games take place at the Cherokee County Recreation Center in Woodstock, complete with the arrival of the torch. Competition begins immediately with the baggo and basketball free throw challenge. Consider how you can participate this year by visiting the website, www.cherokeecountyseniorolympics.com, and filling out the registration form. The cost is $12 per senior and helps to provide T-shirts and a medal for placing in each event.
– Nathan, a resident of Cherokee County since 1982. He retired from Cherokee County Senior Services.
Dick Amato says
What is the body challenge event, decathlon ?