The Volunteer Aging Council Gets a New Name
The Volunteer Aging Council, a nonprofit volunteer organization committed to raising funds and awareness for the needs of low-income seniors and senior veterans in Cherokee County, is proud to announce its new name: Stand Up For Seniors.
The nonprofit was established in 2000 to address Cherokee County seniors’ unmet needs. Its members are a dynamic team of dedicated volunteers working together with the Cherokee County Senior Services program to raise funds and gather support to help our seniors in need. From connecting with community leaders and businesses, to fundraising and serving lunches, our commitment is evident and unchanging: We Stand Up For Seniors!
With statistics like these, the needs are apparent. Did you know?
- Twenty percent of Cherokee County residents are seniors. That’s 1 in 5 of your neighbors.
- We have seniors trying to decide between paying for medication or electricity.
- A great number of Cherokee County seniors live below the U.S. poverty level (income less than $13,000 per year).
- We have seniors who are living in unhealthy conditions or looking for a place to sleep.
Here’s how Stand Up For Seniors made a difference in 2021:
We provided emergency assistance when all other means were exhausted. Rental assistance, emergency shelter, past due utility bills, medication expenses, etc. totaled $23,491.
Partners built wheelchair ramps and helped with minor repairs and home improvements to enhance quality of life. Repairs including plumbing, electrical, HVAC and exterior repairs totaled $13,654.
We provided items for comfort and mobility, including fans, heaters, canes, walkers, lift chairs and personal hygiene. In 2021, this expense totaled $5,620.
These numbers reflect contributions for 2021 only. Think of all the good that can be done for Cherokee Seniors with your help. The options range from making donations to actively serving as a volunteer. For more information on how to help, visit vac-cherokeega.org.
– A longtime resident of Cherokee County, Janice Kimber is a board member of Stand Up For Seniors. She is passionate about seniors and their well-being.