If you’re like me, you can’t wait for the colder season to begin in Georgia. After the smoldering southern summers, any temperature below 75 degrees feels like a breath of the freshest air! The onset of cooler weather reminds us that the holidays are soon approaching; families will gather, and memories will be made. In the busyness of this exciting season, don’t forget about the simple activities that keep your home maintained, in its best condition, during the winter months.
1. Clean the gutters. Colorful fall leaves easily clog gutters, preventing proper drainage. As the leaves stop falling, take time to make sure your gutters are clear of debris this winter. As you reap the benefits next year, you will be glad you did.
2. Protect the pipes. Prevent pipes bursting by making sure all outdoor faucets are off. Confirm garden hoses, and even the sprinklers, have been disconnected from the water line and drained.
3. Fertilize the lawn. During the colder seasons, roots are alive under the surface, even though grass isn’t growing. No one likes a brown lawn! Laying fresh fertilizer allows your lawn to get a headstart in the spring, when it’s ready to regrow. It also prevents damage that cold temperatures can cause.
4. Repair cracks in the driveway. Small cracks have a tendency to turn into larger cracks/holes when water gets into them and freezes. Order cement filler on Amazon; it’s an inexpensive way to keep your driveway in good shape.
5. Replace smoke detector batteries. Make sure your batteries have been replaced in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Don’t wait until the Christmas ham or turkey is burning to figure out that your smoke detector isn’t working.
6. Check for drafts. Small openings at the bottom of doors and windows allow cold air to creep in, unnecessarily raising heat bills. Buying a weatherstrip to secure drafty spots can save money on your energy bill.
These tips, although simple, will help your home remain beautiful and intact during the colder season. Including your family in these projects can turn tasks into time spent making wonderful memories.
– Ursula and Associates (Jason Wilson and Ursula Butler) is a real estate team, associated with Keller Williams Realty Partners, that has specialized in Woodstock and surrounding areas since 1996.
Leave a Reply