Local nonprofit Give a Kid a Chance is about to celebrate their ninth year in helping children in Cherokee County prepare for school. The organization hopes to provide 3,000 backpacks full of school supplies, socks, underwear and gently used clothing to the children of Cherokee County who need it most. During each summer’s event, children also receive haircuts and a range of medical screenings to help ensure they start the new year on the right foot. This year, Bethesda Community Clinic, a fully-quipped medical clinic located in Canton that specializes in primary care for all age groups, has launched a campaign for 1,000 gift cards that will provide a child in need with a checkup, sports physical, dental visit or sick-visit and treatment. These gift cards are $40 each and can be ordered online here.
This year’s Give a Kid a Chance event will take place on Saturday, July 19th, 2014 from 9a.m.-3p.m. at the following locations:
Canton First Baptist Church– 1 Mission Point, Canton GA 30114
Hillside United Methodist Church – 4474 Towne Lake Parkway, Woodstock GA 30189
If you’re interested in participating in this wonderful cause, you can do so in a couple of ways:
- Donations of money, supplies
- Be a liaison for your church, business or nonprofit
- Volunteer at the event on July 19th
- Become part of the leadership team
The Give a Kid a Chance team has the biggest need for the following items:
- Filled backpacks (More information what to include here)
- New packages of socks and undies for students in Kindergarten through 12th grade, particularly adult sizes
- Gently used, school-appropriate clothing
- Spanish-speaking volunteers
You can read even more about the 9th Annual Give a Kid a Chance event on page 30 in the July issue of the Townelaker. To volunteer to help or to sign up for assistance, please visit the Give a Kid a Chance website or connect with them on Facebook or Twitter!