We can envision all that a home offers: mental and emotional security, a place to call your own, a haven to unwind after a long day, a place to celebrate birthdays and special occasions. A home is the holder of the best things, including family members, guests, spouses and furry friends. But, how can we best position ourselves to make the ambition of homeownership a measurable reality? Here are four steps to prepare you to purchase your dream home this year.
- Assess the funds you have available. When purchasing a home, you will need cash in hand for earnest money, a down payment, home inspections and closing costs.
- Have a conversation with a loan officer, to see what options you have. A loan officer will narrow down your exact price range for a home, as well as project the approximate totals for closing costs and more, so that you can be confident and knowledgeable during the process, from going under contract to getting to the closing table.
- Be very specific as to what best will fit your needs and satisfy your wants. For example, you may need a three-bedroom, two-bathroom home, and would prefer to have a garage and the master on the main floor. Or, perhaps you need to have an office space and a good school district, and you would like to have stainless steel appliances and a back deck. When you cross the finish line at the closing table, you want to be sure you accomplished your goal of buying your dream home.
- Partner with the right real estate agent. When choosing an agent, research their reputation. Do they have a following of happy clients who were given the highest level of care in their real estate journey? Will they take the time to acknowledge your wants and needs, to be sure they are best searching for your dream home? Are they on a team that can provide multiple professionals to enhance your home-buying process and line of communication? Being sure you have hired the right agent can give you the best possible experience in your real estate journey.
The process of purchasing a home requires courage and commitment. Being prepared to dive into the experience with the right resources, knowledge and team to support you will allow you to experience the immense rewards of home ownership.
– Ursula and Associates (Jason Wilson and Ursula Butler) is a real estate team, associated with Keller Williams Realty Partners, that has specialized in Woodstock and surrounding areas since 1996.